Monday, June 27, 2011

Well, Hello!

So, it's been a while. About two months, actually. It's feast or famine around here, I guess. I wish I could attribute my lack of posts to being extraordinarily busy with my booming photography business, my writing project, and my humming social life, but, alas, I cannot tell a lie. That's not to say that I have been doing nothing.....I've just been doing something very similar.

Let me start with the real bummer of the summer: My writing project. I haven't written a single page since January. I was supposed to have a complete novel by the end of the year. That goal is getting further and further out of reach every day. I can't tell you exactly why I stopped working on it... I guess motherhood+trying to get paperwork and marketing together to feel more legit with photography has really consumed all of my creative energy, which, as any "real" writer will tell you, is pure bull excrement. Just ask the guys on the writing forums who have nothing to their name except for five stars for being nosy and bossy on a discussion board. "Writer's block doesn't exist", my ass....

My social life is the pits, but that is an unfortunate side effect of being the breastfeeding "single" mother of a toddler. Especially my toddler, who is a bona fide Momma's Boy. It's nice most of the time. I love being the one he runs to when he's being chased/hurt/bored, and the one he cuddles before he goes to sleep. He is a beautiful, smart boy and I love him dearly.....But if I am gone for more than 30 minutes and he figures out that I am no longer in the room.....Hoooooo boy..... That, plus the fact that I have no reliable babysitters or desirable daycare options really limits what I am able to go out and do. Fortunately, this deployment is coming to an end soon and I will be able to share my parenting responsibilities with my husband.

I suppose the only upside to this post is my photography business. I have the paperwork squared away, and all the equipment I need to get started. I even have 3 sessions lined up for July, which is the most I have had in a single month, but it's still less than I would like to have. Ideally, I would like to do at least 12 sessions a month. I'm sure I will get there eventually. Until then, I can deal with the slow trickle of business. At least it will build my portfolio until the end of the year, when I will begin charging my session fee and become a "real" photographer.

Alex is doing well. He says yes, no, thanks, welcome, dada, mama, dog, and nessa (for Aunt Vanessa). He also communicates his needs pretty well. He seriously amazes me every day with what he knows and what he is learning. He is my heart, and I can't wait until Jesus comes home so that he can experience how wonderful it is to be able to actually play with him!

Long post, lots of rambling. I'm going to try to get back into the swing of things and write more often, but don't quote me on that! :)

1 comment:

rwinston said...

Acting as the single mom of a toddler, starting a photography business...either of those take up all your time. You'll have time for writing again. I'm really glad that the photography is going well. I don't know how in the world you manage photo shoots with a mama's boy. Mine won't even let me go to the bathroom alone.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Coming Up Roses. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator